About UN Foundation
The UN Foundation strives to advance human dignity and protect the planet through our work on transformative issues critical to humanity’s shared future. As a strategic partner to the United Nations, we bring together fresh thinking and diverse voices to mobilize the people, ideas, and resources needed to tackle urgent problems and drive progress towards the collective promise of the Sustainable Development Goals.
The UN Foundation’s award-winning communications team seeks an innovative, creative and digitally savvy Communications Manager to oversee and develop fresh, compelling, eye-catching content across formats and channels in line with marketing plans, audience insights, and Foundation priorities. Nuanced understanding of relevant subject matter is essential, as well as the creative flair, digital expertise, and project management skills to develop sophisticated treatments and innovative ways to tell important stories that reflect UN Foundation priorities, strengthen brand and audience engagement, and demonstrate the unique value of the UN to the world.
As a key part of UN Foundation's integrated communications team, this person supervises a number of colleagues, and external vendors, in writing, graphics, data visualization, and video to produce first-rate content in a variety of formats and across channels. S/he must also demonstrate digital expertise to be able to apply analytical insights to target different audiences.
This person is central to content creation and audience targeting both as part of strategic engagement campaigns, and regular channel content pipelines, as well as seizing opportunities in the news cycle. In addition, s/he will play an important part in planning and executing content and digital strategy for major events, as well as working with senior team leaders to manage and deploy marketing budgets optimally.
Obsession with accuracy, attention to detail, excellent written and visual communications skills, and digital engagement fluency are essential requirements.
- Work across content types and channels, supervising team members and external vendors on writing, graphics, dataviz, and video to deliver eye-catching, message-consistent, multi-platform content in line with UN Foundation and UN priorities
- Work independently and with a team to design and implement creative digital strategies and workplans, building out content from start to finish, and making recommendations for content and digital tools and tactics
- Edit and review digital content for social media channels, email, and websites to ensure quality. Support on copywriting as needed
- Advise on, and implement digital engagement and marketing campaigns across channels, including creating promotional budgets and plans, measuring performance metrics, and adjusting as needed
- Work at relevant events, including overseas, leading production of content across channels and staffing senior leaders and stakeholders as needed
- Prepare and present reports on different aspects of work as needed
- Keep up-to-date and offer advice on digital media and communications trends and best practice.
- Contribute to communications team planning processes, as well as team best practice and learning sessions
- Excellent written and visual communications skills, with experience and some proficiency in writing, graphics, and video
- At least 5-8 years of experience with increasing seniority in communications, including both content production and editorial
- Thorough understanding of different social and digital tools and channels, and what works for different channels and audiences and demonstrated experience of producing such content
- Experience leveraging analytics and paid digital media to drive digital growth and engagement with key audiences. Must be proficient in relevant platforms, including Google AdWords and Analytics, Facebook Insights and Facebook for Business, and Twitter for Business
- Experience using metrics and analytics to measure and adapt strategy, and reporting data and learning
- Knowledge and prior use of HTML, Google Analytics, Adobe Creative Suite
- Must have demonstrated communications experience with UN Foundation and UN issues and priorities, and of working with large multilateral organizations
- Ability to communicate effectively with wide range of constituencies, and good judgment, especially in matters of protocol
- Ability to develop and own relationships with internal and external partners. Strong relationship-building and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities, to work alone and in teams, proactively and directed
- Bachelors’ degree in English, Communications, Public Relations, International Relations, Journalism, or related field
- Willing to travel as needed as COVID-19 pandemic conditions allow
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.